One quick, trivial memory I'll share, from the first time we connected — back in ~2005 he posted something on his site about his server's hard drive crashing, so a few of us from blogger-team paypal'd him some $ to buy a new one; he would have been ~19 years old at the time:
A few months later we got to meet him in person, when he visited Google for lunch, and I saw him a couple more times over the years, at conferences and whatnot — throughout I've remained a fan of his writing, causes and code.
To see him in action, watch his Freedom to Connect 2012 talk.
His premature death is an utterly tragic loss for humanity. Rest in peace, Aaron.
(followup: videos from his memorial in SF)
- Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman
- Matt Haughey
- Cory Doctorow
- Larry Lessig (and his followup)
- Tim Berners-Lee
- Brewster Kahle
- Peter Eckersley of the EFF
- Alex Stamos, expert witness in Aaron's court case
- John Schwartz in the New York Times
- Timothy Lee in ArsTechnica
- Aaron Greenspan
- Dan Gillmor
- Doc Searls
- Henry Farrell
- Orin Kerr in The Volokh Conspiracy (and part two)
- The Economist
- PDF Tribute
- The JSTOR Liberator
- Alex Macgillivray on Twitter — "If you'd like to give money to some of @aaronsw's causes: Demand Progress, OpenLibrary, Creative Commons"
- Rick Falkvinge — The Petition to Fire Aaron Swartz's Prosecutor Reaches its Goal
- Ronaldo Lemos — 2009 email interview with Aaron
- Tim Wu in The New Yorker
- Mike Masnick at Techdirt
- Rebecca Greenfield at The Atlantic Wire — "A Guide to the Finger-Pointing"
- Adam Clark Estes in The Atlantic Wire — "The Congressional Backlash Over Aaron Swartz's Suicide Has Begun"
- Robin Amer, re: Aaron's funeral
- Ian Millhiser — "Aaron Swartz Faced A More Severe Prison Term Than Killers, Slave Dealers And Bank Robbers"
- The Huffington Post
- Philip Greenspun on the effects of plea bargaining
- Yusuf Simonson in The Daily Muse
- Health Care Renewal blog on some of Carmen Ortiz's past prosecutions
- Michael Daly in The Daily Beast
- Senator John Cornyn following up with the Attorney General
- Jennifer Granick from the Stanford Law School's Center for Internet and Society
- Kevin Cullen in The Boston Globe
- Charles Pierce in Esquire
- Dan Kennedy in The Huffington Post
- Joseph Perla on a new book, On Internet Freedom
- Scott Horton in Harpers
- retired Federal Judge Nancy Gertner
- the Los Angeles Times on Aaron's funeral
- Carmen Ortiz's official statement
- James Boyle's response to Orin Kerr
- The Boston Herald on Ortiz's office's handling of future cases
- Noam Cohen in the New York Times
- Gregory Foster, "Finishing what Aaron started with PACER"
- Steve Schultze's background on their PACER work
- Aaron's own Freedom of Information Act request & profile, from 2009
- Declan McCullagh in CNET
- The Economist on Plea Bargaining
- the Andrew Auernheimer case, which is startlingly similar to Aaron's
- the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee's letter to Eric Holder
- The Economist (print edition)
- Adrian Lamo in PandoDaily
- Andrew Payne's letter to Carmen Ortiz
- Mark Suster
- Farhad Manjoo in Slate
Calls to Action
- Dan Gillmor: "We can honor Aaron’s life in the best way by doing what he did at his amazing best. We can work to expand an open Net and society, and to make “liberty” a word that means something again."
- Marcia Hofman: "Let's Fix Draconian Computer Crime Law"
- Gregory Foster: "I looked into Aaron Greenspan's proposed Operation Asymptote, and I wanted to recommend it as an effective and poetic tribute to Aaron Swartz's memory."